As a popular media, Internet demands a simple and convenient language for people to use in communication. English, as the most commonly used language on the Internet, has its distinct features. Generally speaking, Internet English refers to the language used in E-mails, Discussion Groups, Chat Rooms, etc. Internet English can be regarded as a new variety of English which presents some distinct features in word-formation and lexicon.
The aim of this annual essay is to reveal the formation and use of compound words in Internet English.
To attain the above indicated aim the following objectives have been set out:
- To introduce the Internet as the 3rd medium of communication and to trace the peculiarities of Internet English;
- To analyse the principles of compounding in Standard English;
- To examine the structure and the use of compounds in Internet English.
The annual essay consists of an introduction, three chapters, conclusions, a summary in Lithuanian, a list of references and an appendix.
Chapter One introduces to the Internet communication and Internet English. Chapter Two gives the basic aspects of compounding in Standard English. In chapter Three the analysis of compound structure and usage on the Internet is given. The object of the work is compounds in Internet English and the method applied is descriptive.
The research is mainly supported by the valuable insights of the linguist David Crystal (1941) whose contribution to linguistics is very significant. Conclusions reflect the actual findings after the investigation of Internet compounds has been carried out.
- 1.INTERNET AS THE 3RD MEDIA OF COMMUNICATION5
- 1.1. Peculiarities of Internet communication.5
- 1.2. Linguistic peculiarities of Internet English.9
- THE PRINCIPLES OF COMPOUNDING IN STANDARD ENGLISH13
- COMPOUNDS IN INTERNET ENGLISH15
- 3.1. The structure of Internet English compounds.15
- 3.2. The use of Internet English compounds.18
- INTERNET SOURCES.24
- A Comprehensive Grammar of the English Language. Randolph Quirk, Sidney Greenbaum, Geoffrey Leech, and Jan Svartvik. London: Longman. 1985.
- A Course in Modern English Lexicology, Second Edition, R. S. Ginzburg , S. S. Khidekel, G. Y. Knyazeva, A. A. Sankin, 1979.
- A Literacy Approach to the Digital Divide, Mark Warschauer, University of California, Irvine, 1999.
- English Lexicology, 1999. © «Дрофа»
- Johnson and the Internet, Hilda Hulme Memorial Lecture, University of London, 21 April 2005;
- Studies in Literature and Language, SUN Hong-mei, Vol.1 No.7, 2010
- Studies about languages. 2006. NO. 9. Internet English: A Technically Based Mode of Language? Goda Rumšienė.
- Studies about languages. 2004. NO. 6. Development of Internet English: Alternative Lexis, Syntax and Morphology, Goda Rumšienė.
- Sociological Inquiry, Craig Calhoun Vol. 68, No. 3, 1998, the University of Texas Press, TX 78713-7819
- Studies in Literature and Language, SUN Hong-mei, 2010, Vol. 1, No. 7, pp. 98-103
- Word-formation in English, Ingo Plag, Universität Siegen, Cambridge Un iversity Press, 2002.
- Word Formation Types: Compounding, Seminar paper. Eveline Podgorski, 2008.
- Where Wizards Stay Up Late– The Origins Of The Internet, Katie Hafner, Matthew Lyon, 1996.
- English - the universal language on the Internet, at: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/lingua-franca.html;
- Internet Language, David Crystal, at: http://www.davidcrystal.com/David_Crystal/internet.htm;
- Journal of Linguistics and Language Teaching. The Importance of Learners’ Ability to Communicate in English and Its Implementation in the Polish Context of Language Teaching, at: http://sites.google.com/site/linguisticsandlanguageteaching/home-1/volume-2-2011-issue-1/volume-2-2011-issue-1---article-cirocki
- The Effect of the Internet on Language and Communication, at: http://wikibin.org/articles/the-effect-of-the-Internet-on-language-and-communication.html;
- The man behind the IT and Communication, Jukka Korpela (free information site), at: http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/personal.html
- Weaving a Web of linguistic diversity, David Crystal at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2001/jan/25/tefl.guardianweekly
- Rgp 20, 2022
- 2011 m.
- 26 psl.
Ne tai, ko ieškai?
Išbandyk mūsų paiešką tarp daugiau nei 16600 rašto darbų